Brandenburg Gate, from Pariser Platz

Brandenburg Gate, from Pariser Platz
I wish I could say I took this

Monday, April 19, 2010

Döner Kebap: A foray into German fast food

One of my favorite choices for a quick snack or pseudo-meal is a Döner Kebap. This item of fast food usually consists of some sort of seasoned, roasted, sliced meat, much like a Gyro that you’d find stateside, along with cabbage, lettuce, tomatoes, onions, cucumbers, and your choice of 3 different sauces in a bun or flatbread. The sauce options are Knoblauch (garlic), Scharf (spicy red), and Kräuter (like Tzatziki). The veggies give it a satisfying crunch and a little touch of sweetness, while the meat fills you up and has a salty, spiced flavor. The meat is so flavorful that some will eat it by itself-they sell packages like fish & chips, only it’s Dönerfleisch & Pommes (meat and fries).

I find the popularity of Döner a little surprising, not because it isn’t absolutely delicious, but rather because of its Turkish origins. Though I suppose this could be compared to the popularity of Mexican food in the USA, as one of Germany’s largest immigrant populations is Turkish. That only makes me wonder whether the Turkish actually eat Döner in Turkey, because I’ve often been informed that most average Mexicans hardly ever eat what we normally consider ‘Mexican’ food. In any case, if you’re ever in Europe, try it!


Word for the Post:Schnellimbiss
Pronunciation:SHNEL-im-biss
Meaning: Fast Food (literally: fast snack)

No comments:

Post a Comment