Brandenburg Gate, from Pariser Platz

Brandenburg Gate, from Pariser Platz
I wish I could say I took this

Monday, March 15, 2010

Bureaucracy: an anecdote

Today I began the process to formally become a student at the Technische Universität in Berlin. I thought it would be simple, and it was, for the most part, but there was also a small snafu: Apparently, the payment that Friederike, the Duke program assistant brought along, was 0.08€ short, because the cost of a semester had recently been raised(raising the cost by 0.08€ per student seems pointless, but I suppose when you have 15,000-20,000 students it's not. Also, it's better than the US tuition hikes.) And the person with whom we were meeting was not permitted to receive this payment (the other 206€ was in some sort of payment statement already). Instead, she had to wander to another area of the building, where the Kasse was. There, she paid 0.08€ and got a stamp on the already printed receipt signifying that it was now the correct amount. This procedure probably doubled the length of our meeting (~5 min. to 10+). And although it wasn't truly a problem, I think she would have appreciated not having to do it. So ist das Leben in Deutschland...

Word for the Post: die Bürokratie
Translation: Bureaucracy
Pronunciation: Actually the same, except the last syllable. (tie = tee)

1 comment: